Trump/Putin pulled “Pizzagate” on Clinton in 2016

Trump/Putin pulled “Pizzagate” on Clinton in 2016, and it worked—despite being 100% false. Now Trump/Putin hope to burden Biden with “Burisma,” and while the idea Biden did anything wrong is *100% false*, Joe should also admit his son was a damn fool for joining Burisma’s board.

In 2016, Democrats found one of the only ways to lose to Trump: have a candidate under federal investigation who—in addition to being innocent in the eyes of the law—admits no error in his/her conduct (at least not in a timely fashion). Biden has picked up the *same playbook*.

Democrats have such a fear of voters’ intelligence—which they presume to be low—that they can’t make simple human admissions that have *nothing* to do with criminality or an admission of guilt: it wasn’t a good idea to have a private server; my son made an unwise job decision.

Everything’s so binary these days that if you say “I wish the Clintons hadn’t had a private server,” it’s seen as a vicious attack on Clinton rather than a simple statement that we all make mistakes and that it usually doesn’t mean anything criminal *or* that we’re bad people.

Every Democrat I know *privately* says, “Screw Hunter for putting his dad in a spot—and being unwilling to admit it was a stupid job for him to take.” Publicly they’re terrified that saying Hunter made a bad call is akin to accusing him of committing a crime—which he *didn’t*.

One of the best things HRC did was—after much pushback to admitting she made an honest mistake with the server—saying she had. It was a great day for her, and I think it was so long in coming because of bad advice from aides, not her own obstinance. Joe needs a similar moment.

I know some disagree with me on this—but I stand by my values. I sidestep whataboutism by trying to be consistent on conduct no matter which party it is. It’s the only way to be invested in politics while keeping one’s integrity. I DGAF how bad-faith GOP actors twist my words.

You don’t allow bad-faith actors to determine your principles—ever. That’s my two cents, at least. The argument that I shouldn’t take a given position because “Republicans will twist it” is a position sans honor, and it makes the world sh*tty. Try to live your principles, IMO.

Hunter did nothing criminal. Joe did nothing criminal. And the only way to give this story additional legs is to *not* admit that Hunter *did* do something stupid that created the appearance of a conflict (appearance, *not* reality, which *is* the applicable ethical standard).

Seth Abramson

Updated: December 18, 2019 — 6:10 pm
21 Comment threads
1 Thread replies
0 Followers

Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
22 Comment authors
AnonymousAnonymousAnonymousAnonymousAnonymous Recent comment authors
newest oldest most voted
Anonymous
Anonymous

No, that would only give them an opening to attack more. I DGAF about Hunter Biden when Ivanka & Jared are running around with security clearances giving their ok to execute journalists!!’

Anonymous
Anonymous

Why? Hunter Biden is a grown man. Let him admit his own mistakes. Joe conceding his son’s error only gives the GOP ammunition.

Anonymous
Anonymous

A father who’s VPOTUS can certainly tell a son, “C’mon man—this makes my work more difficult. Find a different board.” Joe doesn’t at all have to attack Hunter, merely note that sometimes sons make decisions their fathers don’t like—but it *doesn’t* make those decisions criminal.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Foolish yes, but the Republicans never have to answer questions about their families. When Barr was appointed his daughter and son in law quit their jobs and went to work in the WH. Then there is Andrew Giuliani, Ivanka, Jared, Don Jr and his nanny Kimberly.

Anonymous
Anonymous

I don’t know about everyone else, but in 2020 I’ll be voting for the Democrat in the election for president, whoever that turns out to be.

Anonymous
Anonymous

I think I would point out that Jared, Ivanka et al are so much worse…nuf said about Hunter…in would put it back on them!

Anonymous
Anonymous

On a personal level, I imagine it would be very, very difficult for any halfway decent dad to call his own son a “damn fool” in public.

And looking at it as a cold, political calculation, what on Earth is the upside of condemning your own family. How will that gain you voters?

Anonymous
Anonymous

And conspiracy theorist loons took both and shared the story with all of their Facebook friends. The goal is to just force people to question reality until they just stop paying attention, views further attached and entrenched.

Anonymous
Anonymous

I don’t really think this smear attempt has any traction with voters. It hasn’t so far and it now its too late to try and make this look like anything else than a smear by Trump.

Anonymous
Anonymous

The fact is, Russians and GOP are targeting Biden. Making them expend that effort on him, drawing all of the negative press, and then having him withdraw from the race in favor of a squeaky clean candidate would be the smartest move the dems could make.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Trump probably did all this just so he could have ‘lock him up’ chants at his rallies. Trump didn’t actually want an investigation into Hunter Biden, he just wanted an announcement. Trump knows his base will get bored quickly if they don’t have something to chant about.

Anonymous
Anonymous

What have I missed about this? I realize that Hunter is Joe’s son but what does it have to do with Joe’s run for Pres?

Anonymous
Anonymous

Joe, shouldn’t admit Malarkey. As long as Jared and Ivanka are in the White House and Don Jr. and Eric are peddling America to the highest foreign bidder for cash, Joe should walk with his head high and tell it like it is. Joe aint Hunter. PERIOD.

Anonymous
Anonymous

I don’t think joe needs to apologize for his son taking the board position . He did nothing illegal .

Anonymous
Anonymous

At this point I wish they would volunteer to testify and put this all to rest. If it’s all on the uP and uP…then why not? I mean, I know why not, but still!

Anonymous
Anonymous

I wouldn’t say Hunter Biden was a fool; it was a smart move for him financially/professionally. It was just wrong. Joe Biden shouldn’t have let him do it. He was the one with the conflict of interest.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Legally, Hunter Biden can do anything he wants (within the law). The obligation to identify and disclose potential conflicts and recuse if necessary falls on Joe. Not suggesting Joe did anything wrong, but I think the suggestion that Hunter was conflicted is backwards.

Anonymous
Anonymous

We have a candidate that has no scandals or skeletons whatsoever.He looks people in the eye and answers their questions with grace and sincerity.He will make us proud.Buttigeg for President!!

Anonymous
Anonymous

Rudy is in Ukraine as we speak. Trump is using the *same playbook* because it worked. Hunter Biden has already said it was a mistake, but that will be drowned out by the BS Trump and Rudy are pushing.

Anonymous
Anonymous

This is NOT the moral leadership I am looking for in the next president. Talking disrespectfully to this man was uncalled for. He is not a political speaker and had a question about what he has heard. Instead of attacking him explain. This was a good moment wasted.
I am more concerned as a presidential candidate that common sense is lacking. His tirade to the man who asked him the question (not worded well) to me showed a lack of not only common sense (not a good look Joe) but of moral leadership.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Love reading u Seth but I don’t agree, Joe doesn’t need answer ?? about his son. Parents often let their kids make mistakes rather than jumping in to stop it. Hunter is a grown man that should speak for himself. It’s not his role to condemn his decision or even acknowledge it.

Anonymous
Anonymous

It is not Joe’s fault about his son’s business decisions. I think it would be a bigger scandal if Joe took an active part in that decision making process for his son.